Tuesday, September 04, 2007

So what’s new with you?

Well this is going to be a short entry. Unfortunately this post will not have any photos. No travelling this past few weeks which may be a blessing I suppose. Still stumbling my way thru life from one indecision to the next. Single obviously. A little older this month (It was my birthday two weeks back ) Not sure whether I’ve gotten any wiser though.

What have you been listening to ?

The new Magic Numbers album – Those The Brokes . I have to say I am quite sorely disappointed. There are a few strong tracks on this album but a lot of the tracks are very formulaic. (I.e Three part harmony, a lot of “oooohhh-ooooohhh-ohhhh” and jangly guitar riffs ) Still “Take A Chance” is a catchy tune in a shoe tapping type of way. You might want to check out their web-site though…they’ve got a cute cartoon version of themselves www.themagicnumbers.net/

I’ve been going into a back catalogue mode. Was doing some research on Feist the other day and thought I’d check out her ex-band. Broken Social Scene. “Bee-Hives” (2004)
http://www.arts-crafts.ca/bss/index.html . Some of the tracks are a bit on the post rock side but generally I was more surprised that Feist used to be in this band. She sounds nothing like them! Probably best listened to when chilling out after a long day or on a Sunday drive somewhere.

If anyone has been keeping up with the British music scene, you may have noticed Kate Nash as well. She sings with a very very strong London accent sort of like that other Londoner myspace starlet made good – Lily Allen. That’s where the similarities end. Kate Nash’s music is a slice of fresh air (Yes-I’m mixing up my metaphors again). It’s not ground-breaking but the somewhat quirky lyrics make her material highly listenable. “Right, birds can fly so high, or they can shit on your head, Yeah they can almost fly into your eye and make you feel so scared. But when you look at them, and you see that they're beautiful, That's how i feel about you”
http://www.myspace.com/katenashmusic/

So what have you been reading ?


Got a couple of new books. Mostly non-fiction. I am halfway thru The Last Oil Shock by David Srathan. It’s about how all the oil majors and governments are covering up the shocking fact that the world’s supply of oil has already peaked or will soon and we are going to be in deep trouble if we don’t at least acknowledge it and get some plans in place to survive the “oil shock”.

Centres on the idea of peak oil, the point or timeframe at which the maximum global petroleum production rate is reached. After this timeframe, the rate of production will enter terminal decline. The nasty part is that this is not sometime in the far future but IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED. I am not sure what to think. Being in the O&G industry myself, I have been fed with some internal propaganda as well via the company communications so I am approaching the book with some skepticism. We will see I suppose.

Anyway, the concept is interesting :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil
http://www.davidstrahan.com/blog

Watched anything interesting lately ?

Funny you asked, I got this DVD from a colleague of an old film called: “The Cook, The Thief , His Wife and Her Lover” I really liked the film. It’s about this woman who is married to a brute of a husband , a gangster of some sort, and they keep coming to this restaurant that her husband owns which is run by this French chef and another strange quiet diner who has no lines until 1/3rd of the movie who she has an affair with. But wait….lest this sounds dull, perhaps I should add the fact that the costumes are all designed by Jean Paul Gautier and the piece de resistance , an epic ending involving a very well cooked human carcass. It’s shocking yes, but it suits the tone of the film

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home